1. Requirements Mapping and Compliance Matrix
1.1 The Software Classification Spreadsheet
The rationale for the requirements is contained in this Handbook (NASA Software Engineering Handbook, NASA-HDBK-2203). Programs/Projects may substitute a matrix that documents their compliance with their particular Center's implementation of NPR 7150.2 083, if applicable. This topic contains a compliance matrix for the requirements organized by class and including a tailoring field for each requirement, tailoring rationale, and approval signature lines.
The Compliance Matrix documents the program/project's compliance or intent to comply with the requirements of NPR 7150.2 083 or justification for tailoring. The matrix lists:
- The unique requirement identifier.
- The section reference.
- The NPR 7150.2 083 requirement statement.
- The Technical Authority Level responsible for assessing a project's compliance matrices, tailoring, waivers, and deviations from requirements in NPR 7150.2.
- The applicability of the requirements in NPR 7150.2 to specific systems and subsystems within the Agency's investment areas, programs, and projects is determined through the use of the NASA-wide definition of software classes.
1.3 Tailoring Guidance
Use the following guidance, also included in the matrix, to interpret the contents of the compliance matrix included in this topic:
X - Indicates an invoked requirement by this NPR consistent with Software Classification (See SWE-139). May be tailored with Technical Authority approval (NPR 7150.2, Chapter 2.2).
Blank - Optional/Not invoked by NPR 7150.2.
Center - Center Director or the Center Director's designated Engineering Technical Authority or Center Director's designated Safety and Mission Assurance Technical Authority.
Each requirement in this Handbook also includes a graphical representation of its compliance matrix data:
1.4 Applicability Across Classes
Class A B C D E F Applicable?
Key: - Applicable | - Not Applicable
A & B = Always Safety Critical; C & D = Sometimes Safety Critical; E - F = Never Safety Critical.
- NPR 7150.2C NASA Software Engineering Requirements, Appendix C. Requirements Mapping and Compliance MatrixNPR 7150.2C, Effective Date: August 02, 2019, Expiration Date: August 02, 2024, See Appendix C. Requirements Mapping and Compliance Matrix Topic [SWEHBVC:7.16 - Appendix C. Requirements Mapping and Compliance Matrix], section 1.4 contains downloadable spreadsheets for each class of software based on NPR 7150.2C.